Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Combustion heater

Re: [MV] Combustion heater

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:15:48 +0800

> Hi, I have a combustion heater, made by Perfection, Model 510-1A. It's
> cylindrical approx 8" dia (20cm) x 28" (310cm) long. Painted olive drab,
no
> date or contract number stamped on nameplate (space provided) but is US
> Property. Box on top seems to have igniter setup & is 24volt.
>
> Is this MV or aircraft, if so used in what? What fuel does it burn? Any
> help appreciated.
> John A. Kidd Collector: Military radio.
> Tullamarine, 3043. Interests: Military aircraft
> Victoria. AUSTRALIA & vehicles, Chrysler cars.
Hi John, I can't be 100% certain but I think you have acquired a heater out
of a LARC V. Maybe one of our LARC experts/owners can confirm this. The
description sounds right if my memory is correct.

If it is a LARC heater then it burns diesel fuel and is electrically fired
by 24 volts DC. These things were very temperamental and often weren't
worth the trouble of trying to start them. It was often quicker to just put
more clothes on.

You could always tell when a LARC heater had started up by the huge cloud
of dirty black smoke being emitted from the heater exhaust port located on
the port bow just forward and below the operators cabin. The heater itself
was located in the bow compartment.

Rod Diery
Kulin
Western Australia