Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

Re: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 21:09:42 -0500

Not necessarily. The problem likely isn't the gauge since it goes to
full when the sending unit line is disconnected. The sending unit is
likely the culprit, but the wire from the unit to the gauge can also be
the problem. The sending unit is nothing more than a resistor. If it
is working fine, but the wire from the sending unit to the gauge is
corroded, it will serve as a resistor and thus cause erroneous readings.
If the wiring is new, you likely have a bad sending unit. If the
sending unit is new, the wiring could be the problem. I had this probem
with my M38A1 and the wiring was gunked up.

You might also want to check for frayed, exposed wiring causing a short
in the circuit.

Jim Rice