Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

RE: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:11:31 -0600

Sounds like the gauge is working OK, and that the wiring down to the =
sending unit is probably OK (no guarantee, though).

The symptoms suggest (but not absolutely) that there may be a direct =
short somewhere in the sending unit, or that the float is stuck in the =
empty tank position.

If you want, you can test the fuel guage by connecting a wire-wound =
potentiometer (variable resistor, like a volume control) from your local =
Radio Shack in place of the sending unit. If you find one that is 0 to =
1000 ohms, it should work OK for testing. I don't know offhand what the =
specific resistance value range is for the M37 sending unit, but here =
are some rough estimates of typical resistance value ranges:

Empty Tank 20-50 ohms
Full Tank 200-500 ohms

NOTE: It could also be the OPPOSITE, depending on the vehicle:

Empty Tank 200-500 ohms
Full Tank 20-50 ohms =20

This also provides some basic information for testing the resistance =
through the fuel level sending unit. However, this would involve either =
lowering the fuel level or removing the sending unit to allow you to =
check the change in resistance as the float position changes. Again, the =
above values can vary from vehicle to vehicle. Basically, however, as =
long as the values change continuously as the float position changes, =
then the sending unit is probably working OK. Sometimes a fuel sending =
unit is intermittant, with gaps caused by debris or corrosion on the =
wire resistor windings or insufficient pressure between the contact and =
the wire winding.

WARNING! BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL whenever you remove a sending unit. I've =
said this before in other postings, but I'll say it again. When you =
remove the fuel sending unit or fuel filter from a tank, you are =
allowing air to enter the tank and creating a VERY volatile, explosive =
mix. You'll also have some exposed liquid fuel. Disconnect the battery =
first! Avoid making sparks or flames of ANY kind around the general =
area, including from any metal-to-metal contact! Even STATIC ELECTRICITY =
can ignite gasoline or gasoline vapors! In other words, if you remove =
these components, you do so at your own risk! Research this topic well =
before proceeding with it. Many people become complacent after working =
with fuel systems for a while, yet every year a bunch of people get =
burned or blown to pieces doing just this type of thing.

Anyway, here's another possible source for stuck or intermittant =
readings: The M37 fuel level sending unit has a gear-driven shaft that =
rotates a wire-wound potentiometer in the cap of the sending unit. It's =
not at all unusual for this kind of sending unit to jam up if there's =
any corrosion on the gears or shafts. Sending units in most other =
vehicles are simpler, with a potentiometer that is operated directly by =
the upper end of the float rod, and with only one pivot point. The M37 =
unit has three times as many places where friction is produced and where =
debris or corrosion can create a problem. Clearances are also more =
critical because of the gears and the way the float-rod gear is mounted.

As long as the mechanical parts are clean, there's usually no problem. =
However, there could be a corroded resistor winding, causing a break in =
the circuit. Or, the contact that rubs against the potentiometer winding =
might not be making good contact.

Hope that gives you something to work with...

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)