Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] 1953 CJ5

Re: [MV] 1953 CJ5

ANDERSONS (mca0@psln.com)
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:33:05 -0700

INDUSTELE@aol.com wrote:

> Recently I responded to a question about YF Carter carburetors, and I
> mentioned I had one on a 1953 CJ5. Got a couple on notes that CJ5's weren't
> made until '54 or '55. I may be wrong about date. It was sold to me as a
> 1953 and without a data plate to go by, I assumed the original owner knew
> what he was talking about.
>
> I DO KNOW that there are a couple of weird things about this CJ5 that the
> list may find interesting. One is that it has a dummy cover for the battery
> box that is on the M-38-A1. Cover will not move, and a battery tray on right
> fender. It is my theory that maybe this was a very early civilian model and
> they used a military body. Front right fender does not have recess for the
> slave receptacle as per the military, but again that is a replaceable part.
> Second oddity is that the windshield is a two piece, fold out glass, version
> similar to CJ-2A, but obviously made for CJ5/M38A1 body. Third item of
> interest it also has a small glove box on right side like my M38. It also
> has a MD serial number on the motor, but since this could have been changed
> out several times, I don't think that is too odd.
>
> I do know that it spent most of it's previous life as a south Alabama stump
> jumper for deer hunters, so I doubt it is some elusive Swiss/Honduras test
> model, and for $350 I don't think the Bubba I bought it from was trying to
> pull something over on me (although his wife was really glad to see it leave
> his front yard).
>
> Best Regards from Beautiful, Sunny, Alabama USA - Tom Campbell
>
> ===
I also have a old (56) half m38a1 and half cj5 with the 2 piece popout
windshield per Tom's EMAIL. It came with the project jeep which I am
getting ready to paint after rebuilding from the chassis up (last
winter's keep out of the snow project).
Marty Anderson
1944 converto Airborne trailer
semi-jeep