Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Re: waterproof, restoration questions

Re: [MV] Re: waterproof, restoration questions

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:50:13 -0400

> Greg Burke wrote:

> Most of us out here (the great unwashed), are limited by funding and/or
> time constraints to having functional 'restorations' (I realize the
misuse
> of that term, but couldn't come up with a better one).

I (I know Todd very well and can tell you that he doesn't either) really
have an opinion as to how you should approach your Jeep or it's
improvements. But I am interested in your Jeep if it's a very late 45 MB.
I am restoring CJ2A 10012 which is the 12th 2A ever built. (Todd has the
68th one and I, jokingly, refer to it as his "late model".) The original
engine is missing. It would have had an MB block, casting number 632638
and a casting date of late May or early June of 1945 and was probably
assembled in mid to late June. (Trans was assembled 6/24/45) I have MB
435475, it was delivered 4/16/45 and the engine is 5849XX. This is too
early for my 2A so I was hoping your MB and engine might be later than
this. If it is and you would consider it, I would like to purchase your
engine or I have lots of MB and GPW parts to trade. If not, I'd still like
to have the numbers off it.

> We can acknowledge that your 'fanaticism' has it's place.

I think that's all anyone ever wanted. Someone has to be "The Keeper of
the Key". If someone like Todd chooses to be that person, on his own time,
at his own (great) expense, then he can be expected to have a limit to his
patience after absorbing, very good-naturedly, all manner of mockery
directed at "those damn purists". I am very proud to number Todd among my
friends. He has stayed at my house several times and has brought other
Jeep folks from the list. He is as mellow, generous, competent,
knowledgeable and non-judgmental person as exists. If you, now, think we
are fanatics we should forward you some of our private e-mail debating
every detail Jeepdom.

>To use a phrase from that Rush was fond of "Can't we all just get along?"

Wasn't Rush's quote (after purchasing a CJ2A with drag behind mower deck),
"Can't we all just get a lawn?"

>I hope that it's taken in fun, as I have no desire to offend.

I took no offense and found it great fun. I think the serious answers to
your tongue-in-cheek questions were quite enlightening, as well.

Regards,

JP