Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

Re: [MV] M-37 Gas Gauge

SBJohnston@aol.com
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 00:12:48 -0400 (EDT)

Alan wrote:

>The M37 fuel level sending unit has a gear-driven shaft that
> rotates a wire-wound potentiometer in the cap of the
>sending unit. It's not at all unusual for this kind of sending
>unit to jam up if there's any corrosion on the gears or shafts.

True, how true. I was really surprised at the construction of the one in my
M38's gas tank. There were large flakey rust crystals jamming the gear teeth
and pivot bearing points. Brushing those flakes away, and a careful cleaning
of the wirewound pot using the excellent electronic cleaner "Cramolin" (I
love that name!) did the trick for mine.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com