Military-Vehicles: [MV] Deuce-and-a halfs - insurance

[MV] Deuce-and-a halfs - insurance

Jim Davidson (datadoc@fia.net)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:14:36 -0700

Michael:

I agree with your comment about questions. Here's my story:

My standard car insurance is with USAA. When I was planning to buy my
truck I called them up to make sure they would cover it. They said, no
problem, and gave me a quote. So, I buys the truck, and drives it home.
Called USAA back, they said, no way, we won't cover it! I was a little
miffed, needless to say. I had visions of getting pulled over and having
the truck impounded, etc...

So, I started shopping around. I thought I could get commercial
insurance... WRONG! No commercial company would touch it, because it's
'personal use'. Suppose I could have gotten a business license, but with
Historic Vehicle plates the state would probably frown on that...

Found an add in the MV magazine for J.C.Taylor. They cover strictly
antiques and collectables. So, what the heck, I sent them an app. and a
picture. They wanted some better pictures, but eventually signed me up.
The insurance is cheap ($50/year for $300k liability, collision and
comprehensive). They have a rather long list of requisites: Vehicle must
be kept in a locked garage, must be restored (They won't insure an
in-progress restoration), must be driven very limited miles (I figured
I'd drive about 1500), can't be driven by anyone but me, personal use
and shows/parades only, and no trailers.

So, I'm a happy camper. I'm sure they'll drop me like a hot potato if I
ever have a claim, but that's OK. I'm not PLANNING to have an accident!
All in all, it's now my cheapest car. Don't know for sure what the
registration will be (due in december) but they charged me only $10 to
transfer the title (plus $155 in CA sales tax), and with insurance only
$50/year, I'm styling!

So that's the story, sorry for the length!
JIM :}
Ramona, CA
M54A1