Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Licenses for 6x6's in CA

Re: [MV] Licenses for 6x6's in CA

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:46:44 -0500

>Class B includes the following:
>(B) Any single vehicle with three or more axles, except any three axle
>vehicle weighing less than 6,000 pounds.
elieve to be relevant. Any mis-spellings are my own :}

>Seems to me that any 6x6 would fall into this category, as long as the
>GVWR was more than 6000 pounds.

For what it's worth, I think I know the origin of this seemingly silly
exception. I mean, what kind of sub-6,000 lb, 6-wheel vehicle is there?

Well, maybe some of you have seen the new Dodge T-rex, a 6x9 Dodge pick-up
prototype (what will CA do if they go into production, I wonder?0. Ddge was
stealing a page from the sport-truck guys. In CA (and elsewhere) some years
back, a popular hot-rod-mod was to add a third axle to mini-trucks
(sometimes a fourth or a fifth, too!). The owners were getting ticketed for
driving stretched Toys, Mazdas, Luvs, etc., without commercial DLs or
plates. I guess they finally got together and petitioned for a change in
the law. I cab dig up some issue numbers of Truckin' magazine on the
controversy, if anyone wants.

I beginning to check into MO law on this, as this 6x thread has really got
me intrigued: they're not halftracks, but I may even be able to afford one!

Much thanks, by the way, to those who've checked in with info on this issue:
keep it coming. I think lots of guys are starting to think about the
deuce-and-a-halfs.

Steve Allen