Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Painting my M37

Re: [MV] Painting my M37

Lee Phillips (lee_phillips@rccgw.chinalake.navy.mil)
26 Aug 1997 09:50:37 -0700

Bob,

The primer actually does a couple of things. It promotes adhesion, =
because the topcoats are better at looking goo than they are at sticking. =
Also, in the case of some of the zinc chromate primers (e.g., PPG DP-40, =
DP-50), the zinc chromate actually makes a chemical barrier against =
corrosion. Also, primers are often sandable (where sealers aren't) so you =
can get a smoother finish. The better primers are epoxy based, (PPG, =
Deft, and others) which makes them stick about as well as anything ever =
could, and also are tougher than nails, making a great subsurface for the =
topcoat. Primers are highly recommended.

Remember the contractors making those vehicles
1) Were in a hurry during WWII, aand didn't want to let anything (like =
applying addiotional paint) slow them down
2) Realized More paint costs more money.
3)Kept an eye open to see Who's looking? You have seen all sorts of =
defense contractors get in all sorts of troublle for skimping on Gov't. =
jobs.

Primer is better!

Lee