Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] M37 not getting gas

RE: [MV] M37 not getting gas

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 11:33:45 -0600

On Tuesday, September 02, 1997 6:51 AM, Carmen Falcone [SMTP:fbc@epix.net]
wrote:

> I seemed that it was not getting gas! We unhooked the fuel line from the
> gas tank to the fuel pump an nothing was coming out. Wanting to just get
> home, we ran a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can placed in the cab,
> in hopes of at least getting home, but the fuel pump seemed that it was
> not sucking in the gas.

First of all, did you loosen the gas filler cap to make sure it wasn't holding
a vacuum in the tank (I will assume that you did). If there is no vacuum in
the tank, you should get some flow through the fuel line when you disconnect
it from the pump, assuming, of course, that there is some fuel in the line to
start the siphoning action and that the end of the fuel line is below the fuel
level in the tank. If no fuel comes through (especially with a full tank),
there is probably debris in the line.

>From your description, it sounds like the fuel line became clogged AND the
pump quit pumping at the same time. The two problems are probably directly
related.

The extra volume and suction of a new or rebuilt pump can frequently cause a
weak fuel filter element to collapse or it can dislodge chunks of crud from
somewhere in the system, which then become lodged somewhere else in the
system. It is recommended that while you have the fuel filter off, you should
clean or replace the fuel filter and drain any gunk out of the fuel lines or
tank.

I would certainly make sure that you get all of the crud out of the system.
You might have to disassemble the fuel pump to clean it, depending on what
kind of debris may be caught in it. You might try reverse-blowing air through
the fuel pump with the fuel line on the tank side of the pump disconnected.
Don't use overly high pressure, or you could damage the pump diaphragm. Be
careful of spilled fuel and possible sparks from static electricity produced
by air rushing out of your air compressor line.

There's also a good possibility of rust in the fuel tank that may continually
flake off and cause problems.

> 1. Can I safely blow out the gas lines with a full tank of gas? Can I
> just disconnect the fuel lines from were they are connect to the fuel
> sender or do I have to pull the entire unit out?

Whatever you do, always be very careful not to create any heat, flame, or
sparks (including static electricity) around fuel or fuel vapors. Anyway,
there could be debris in the fuel filter assembly itself, so it might not hurt
to clean that out. By the way, I think you meant "fuel filter assembly" when
you said "fuel sender." There's no reason to remove the sender unless your
gauge isn't working. Also keep in mind that if you reverse-blow the lines
without disconnecting them from the fuel tank, it will just move any existing
debris in the lines and filter to some other place in the system, where it may
clog the system again some day.

> 2. Were the fuel line meets the short hose to the fuel pump, the line
> with the pet cock on it. Well this pet cock unit spins completely around
> the line. This is not normal is it?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "spins completely around the line," but
it doesn't sound normal. Is the petcock loose? If it is loose or damaged, it
is a possible source of some serious leakage, blockage, or debris, including
metal shavings.

> 3. How can I be sure that my rebuilt job on my fuel pump is correct?
> When I had the gas can hooked up to the fuel pump why wasn't I getting
> it to pump gas? I have gone this before on the jeeps so I know that it
> worked for them We them disconnected the line that went to the Carb and
> no gas was passing through the fuel pump. What did I go wrong?

I guess that only you can be sure of this, since we didn't watch you rebuild
it. Apparently, it was working OK for a while, at least. The tricky part about
rebuilding fuel pumps usually involves proper staking of the check valves (if
they are staked) and proper centering of the diaphragm with the pump actuator
lever in the right position to avoid stressing the diaphragm. The instructions
in any (good) overhaul kit should outline this procedure. Maybe you didn't do
anything wrong. Maybe it's just crap in the lines and pump.

> 4. Was I on the right track in rebuilding the fuel pump when there was
> gas getting into the block?

Absolutely. A leaky pump diaphragm is probably the most common source of fuel
in the engine oil.

> 5. What part does the carburetor play in all of this, if any?

In this case, I doubt that the carburetor is a cause of the problem you
described. However, it may have received some debris from a dirty line if you
don't have a filter between the pump and the carburetor, so you still might
want to clean it out.

Good luck,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)