Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning with glass - plus sealer information.

Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning with glass - plus sealer information.

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 20:29:04 -0400

: Tuesday, September 02, 1997 7:23 PM

> On Tuesday, September 02, 1997 4:54 PM, A. Mehlhorn
> [SMTP:a.mehlhorn@t-online.de] wrote:
> > I just tried a new method to clean rusty and dirty gas tanks:
> > 1. Take your concrete mixer or go to your friend (as I did) and take
his.
> > 2. Fit the tank to the drum of the concrete mixer.
> > 3. Take a piece of toughened safety glass (not laminated!) and
> > crack it. Use a cheap or free car screen, not one from a
> > Mercedes Gullwing or so.
> > 4. Fill the shatters of the toughened glass into the gas tank and
> > let the tank turn round and round for some hours on the concrete
mixer.
> > 5. Clean the tank with a vacuum cleaner (take your workshop vac,
> > not your wife's household vac!)
> > 6. Rinse the tank.
> > 7. Use it as it is or seal it with a good tank sealer.
> > The glas cleans the inner surface of the tank to the pure metal.
> > You don't need any dangerous liquids and an old sheet of toughened
> > glass is cheap or free.
> > Try it! I've cleaned the two tanks of my Kettenkrad in this way.
> > Regards from Germany
> > Andreas
>
> Alan Bowes responded:

> The glass and cement mixer combination sounds like a great idea.
>
> I suppose that if you don't have access to a cement mixer, you could
strap the
> rusty tank to a 4x4 vehicle, dump some water and abrasive into the tank
(the
> rusty one), and go off-roading for the weekend (or drive on the city
streets
> in Salt Lake City...they're just as bumpy). Depending on where most of
the
> rust is, keep that side down most of the time. A load of sharp, pea-sized
slag
> would also work very well. A cleaning solution to help loosen the rust
would
> also help.
>
> By the way, if anyone is looking for a gas tank cleaner and sealer mix,
the
> Sears Auto Shop catalog sells Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer, as follows:
>
> Repair kit (1616Z) $39.99 US Dollars, with:
> - 16 oz of Prep A (cleaner)
> - 8 oz of Preb B (rinse)
> - Two 16 oz bottles of sealer
> - A length of chain (for chainless people)
> - Disposable gloves (for gloveless people)
>
> OR
>
> If you are already the proud owner of a piece of chain (or broken glass
or
> slag or nuts or bolts, etc.), you can save $7.00 by ordering the prep and

> sealer separately (1602Z and 1601Z) for $15.99 each.
>
> I don't know what the formulation is, but it's apparently an elastomeric
> coating of some sort. It is advertised to resist all types of fuel
additives,
> including alcohol. I'm not endorsing it, since I haven't tried it, but
there
> it is if you want to give it a shot.

> [...]

How about;

1) Sell your old tank to someone who doesn't know what a pain in the a**
and dubious proposition it is to clean and seal on old junker.

2) Don't annoy your friends by borrowing their tools, don't strap your
tank to a cement mixer or risk injury with shards of broken glass.

3) With the time you save by doing nothing, work a few hours overtime at
your job.

4) Take the proceeds from number 1) and the income from number 3) and buy
a new tank.

5) Wake up the next morning with all your friendships intact, owing favors
to no one and 10 gallons of gas in your new tank, not on your garage floor.

Regards,

JP