Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Connecting rod installation problem

Re: [MV] Connecting rod installation problem

CHAZ (chaz.mackenzie@virgin.net)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:48:28 +0100

> Hi Handoko,the TM 803 is correct, the pistons have the slot so that they can
> be a close fit in the cylinder to prevent piston "slap" when it's cold but
> still have space for expansion as the engine heats up. The slot should be on
> the valve side , if you fitted them the other way round the side thrust on
> the power stroke would cause the piston to flex and eventually crack .
>
> The oil hole should face away from the valve side , it sprays oil on the
> thrust side of the cylinder for lubrication . If you fitted the rods the other
> way round the cylinder and piston would wear faster . The other side of the
> cylinder is lubricated by oil splashed around by the crank etc. Many more
> modern engines do not have this oil hole and they rely on splash lubrication
> for both sides of the cylinder . I have dismantled engines (not jeep) which
> have had one or more rod's the wrong way round for many thousands of miles
> with no obvious extra wear, so your mechanic may be correct in what he has
> seen ,BUT the engine was incorrectly assembled by someone else.

I may get shot down in flames for this but , if you are still in any doubt
forget the TM******** manuals . Your mechanic must have manuals for other
engines , look at the cut away drawings in these and see what goes where.
An engine is an engine , they all work in the same way. If you look at six
different engines and the oil holes all point the same way , your question
is answered .
As to when the oil hole sprays the oil , I would think that it would spray
all the time with a more powerfull squirt as the drilling from the main
bearing passes it , does it really matter?

Good luck with your jeep

Chaz Mackenzie 1942 MB jeep
Ayr
Scotland