Military-Vehicles: [MV] Re : Connecting rod installation problem

[MV] Re : Connecting rod installation problem

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:45:48 -0400

>I am still confuse guys, because Chaz & Todd say that
>oil squirthole facing opposite to the piston T-Slot & the T-Slot facing
>to the valve side and the purpose of oil squirt hole is to lubricated
>the piston, but Andy says that T-Slot & oil Squirt hole facing to
>the valve side and the purpose of oil squirt hole is to lubricated
>the camsaft.

The postwar Universal Jeep maintenance manuals and the TM-10-1513
(all written by Willys) show what Chaz and I are saying. This is correct.

>The result of my examination ( I am still confuse) :
>- On page 25 fig 8 (TM-10-1186) : front sectional view of engine shows
> that oil squirt hole facing to the left side of the engine (front view).

This is consistent with what Chaz an I are saying. The engine sides are
usually designated as looking at the engine from the rear. So this
is the right side of the engine.

>- On page 27 fig 10 (TM-10-1186) : side sectional view of engine shows
> that all of the long end connecting rod is away from nearest main
> bearing.

The offset is also away from the nearest main bearing.

>- On page 32, paragraf 10e (TM9-1803A) statement:
> When installing Connecting rods on pistons make sure the oil squirt
> hole in the connecting rod is opposite the T-slot in the piston (fig 36
> on page 48). If assembled in this manner, the off-set on the connecting
> rod will be in the correct position when installed in the cylinder block
> (paragraph 18 f page 46).

This is also correct. Slot of the piston faces the valve side of the engine.
Oil spray hole opposite the cam. Offset of the connecting rod is away
from the nearest main bearing.

>I found a contradiction statement in paragraph 18f on page 47 :
>place the no:1 connecting rod and piston assembly in th no:1 cylinder
>with the offset on the connecting rod away from the nearest main (fig 36)
>with the T-slot of the piston to the left and the oil squirt hole in the
>connecting rod facing toward the right hand side of the engine
>(not the valve side)

This is correct.

>If I compare the statement in paragraph 18f and fig 36 in TM9-1803A
>with the TM 10-1186 (master part list) figure 10 on page 27, this will
>make me confuse.

I think what you are confused about is the definition of an offset. When
the offset is correct, the larger of the 2 distances on the "big end" of the
connecting rod is opposite the nearest main bearing. This distance is the
area between the connecting rod "center" and the end of the "big end".
(When on the crank, it is the distance between the crank and the center
of the connecting rod.) The postwar Universal Jeep maintenance manuals
have a nice picture showing you what the offset is. By using this definition,
the statements in TM9-1803A and the picture in TM-10-1186 are consistent....

Todd Paisley