Military-Vehicles: [MV] "Getting creamed"?

[MV] "Getting creamed"?

MV List Admin (postmaster@skylee.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 97 22:16:01 -0700

>>name changed to protect the innocent, wrote:
>>
>>I am not posting this to the list for fear that I'll get creamed
>>if I'm wrong.

>I recieved this reply to my hood posting when I logged on this
>morning. I know exactly why it was posted direct rather than to
>the list, I've found myself doing the same to avoid the possibility
>of "getting creamed"

Being told that one's information is incorrect and "getting creamed"
are two entirely different things. I do not permit rudeness on this
list and have not yet seen someone "creamed" for stating incorrect
information. If you feel you have, contact me directly.

>There must be loads of interesting stuff posted direct rather than
>to the list for the same reason. Kind of defeats the object don't
>you think?

Deciding not to post for fear of being corrected is a silly reason
for not posting and does indeed defeat the purpose of this list.
But knowingly propagating what one suspects might be incorrect
information through direct e-mail is not only counterproductive but
could have dire consequences.

Look, people, the purpose of this list is to help each other. Whether
you like it or not, that includes correcting misinformation. If you
are frightened of merely being corrected, not only should you not
be on this list but you probably shouldn't be on the Net. Sorry,
but that's the way I feel about it.

Take comfort in the fact that I do not permit name-calling or similar
rudeness here, and I have yet to see any name-calling when people
correct each other's mistakes. A perfect example just came over
the wire. Todd followed up to a message with a single sentence,
"That winch is run off the crankshaft." A simple statement of fact.
He wasn't being rude, or snide, or condescending. His statement
remains to be either challenged or accepted.

So, by all means post relevant messages to the list. If you're
corrected by someone, add the correct information to your knowledge
base and move on. But if you are attacked personally, let me know
and I will unsubscribe the miscreant. Our conversations will be
kept civil and on-topic (e-mail followups to this message to me
rather than the list please).

--Arthur Kyle, mil-veh list admin
ack@skylee.com