Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Mystery Brakes

RE: [MV] Mystery Brakes

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 17:19:17 -0600

On Monday, September 29, 1997 3:03 PM, Van Burns [SMTP:vburns@selu.edu]
wrote:
> At 01:42 PM 9/29/97 -0400, DOConnor@zoomit.sikorsky.com wrote:
> >Hi Ben,
> > We had the same problem with the jeep and found out when Dad backed it
> out of
> >the barn! Good thing there was enough flat area to save it on! We
couldn't

> >figure it out and still don't know but since there was no more silicone
> brake
> >fluid in the whole system we refilled with DOT3 and haven't had a problem
> since
> >(pardon me while I knock on some wood). Maybe that's the answer, maybe
> not. I
> >know the original fluid was supposed to be silicone but since the entire
> brake
> >system is new/rebuilt stuff the new fluid seems to be fine in it. Maybe
> Allan
> >has the answer tucked away and can enlighten us.
> >
> >Good Luck,
> >Dennis O'Connor
> >Naugatuck, CT, USA
> >
> >Ben:
> If your brake system had silicone fluid in it, it would certainly give
> rise to this type of problem. Silicone fluid will evaporate and one has
> add new fluid every so often. Ordinary brake fluid will not evaporate,
> but
> will pick up condensation and cause rust pits in the master cylinder and
> wheel cylinders after a period of time. Silicone has the advantage of
> avoiding the condensation problem thereby saving future problems of rust
> in
> the cylinders, but has the disadvantage of evaporation. Be careful not to
> mix the two. If your system has one or the other and you wish to change,
> be sure to flush the entire system and fill with the fluid you choose.
>
> Van Burns

Hi, Van,

The evaporation rate of ordinary, glycol-based fluid is considerably slower
than water...more like anti-freeze...so it might seem like it doesn't
evaporate, but I can assure you that glycol-based fluids DO evaporate. I've
seen evidence of this dozens of times. It's certainly not a rapid
evaporation rate, but it does evaporate. I've had brake-fluid soaked rags
completely dry out. I've seen dusty, brake-fluid-soaked backing plates dry
out. When I've spilled brake fluid on the rusty exteriors of master
cylinders, they dried out in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks,
depending on temperature and how much the vehicle was driven. I've even
heard that it is a faster evaporation rate than silicone fluids, but I have
yet to verify this by doing an experiment.

Even motor oil dries/evaporates, although it is at an extremely slow rate.
Synthetic oils seem to evaporate even more slowly.

When a glycol fluid evaporates, certain volatiles evaporate more rapidly
than others, so there may be some residual components of the fluid remaining
for quite a while. One clue to this rapid evaporation is the strong smell it
gives off.

By the way, I actually demonstrated this to someone not too long ago. Try
spreading a film of DOT 3, 4, or 5.1 brake fluid on a non-porous surface and
then wipe most of it off, leaving a very thin film. Come back in a couple of
days. It will be gone, unless you are near 100 percent humidity or the
temperature is extremely cold.

In any case, evaporation should not be an issue with either type of fluid in
a tight, leak-free system. Even on systems that do not have a rubber seal on
the top of the fluid reservoir (small breather opening open to the air) the
evaporation rate should be negligible.

That brings up a point, however. If you have a system that exposes the brake
fluid in the reservoir to the outside air, even if it is only through a
small breather opening, you should change glycol-based fluids quite
frequently, since they will absorb more moisture from the outside air than
they would in a totally sealed system. The percentage of water might go as
high as 4 or 5 percent, which can start to do some damage, especially in old
fluid in which the corrosion inhibitors have been depleted.

Regards,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)