Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV]Dust Shield on Pinion Yoke

RE: [MV]Dust Shield on Pinion Yoke

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:54:40 -0400

>I just tried to order a "Shield Dust Pinion Yoke" (don't you like the naming
>conventions!). This is installed on the pinion yoke of the front differential
>of a 1945 MB.
>
>I was told that no-one supplies this anymore, and even the later models
>that had this (apparently through 1971) no longer require this shield. I was
>told the function of this part was to help cut any small vines and things that
>might tend to get caught on the rotating shaft.

Are you talking about A-942? I believe this dust cap is for keeping a cork gasket
against the yoke assembly and to keep it clean from dirt. The gasket is to help
keep the lubrication into the yoke assembly. I can't imagine how it could cut
small vines.

Todd Paisley