Subject: [MV] M416 Rims...
Author: "Scott Strance" <Strance@classic.msn.com> at Internet
Date: 10/29/97 7:30 PM

I'm in the process of cleaning up my M416 and had the tires pulled off the
rims today. Much to my surprise, those darn rims didn't weigh hardly
anything! Then, I flipped one over and it was stamped ALCOA. Not being a
rocket scientist, I determined they were in fact made of alum. (or are they
something else???)

So....... Just how does one go about removing the 9+ layers of OD, Sand
color, Tan, Brown and every other color the military may have used. The
majority of it flakes off in big layered chunks but I want perfectly clean
rims for painting. Which brings me to the second question. How does one
paint alum rims? Do they get primed first and then painted? Can they be
sandblasted or beadblasted? Can you use the Aircraft paint removers? Can you
use the Draino as mentioned in the previous threads?

I just want to know how to clean and paint them without spending a fortune.
Any help would be appreciated..

Scott
Austin Tx