Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M416 Rims...

Re: [MV] M416 Rims...

Front Line Military Vehicles (flmv@netrax.net)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:38:34 -0500

Scott Strance wrote:

> I'm in the process of cleaning up my M416 and had the tires pulled off the
> rims today. Much to my surprise, those darn rims didn't weigh hardly
> anything! Then, I flipped one over and it was stamped ALCOA. Not being a
> rocket scientist, I determined they were in fact made of alum. (or are they
> something else???)
>
> So....... Just how does one go about removing the 9+ layers of OD, Sand
> color, Tan, Brown and every other color the military may have used. The
> majority of it flakes off in big layered chunks but I want perfectly clean
> rims for painting. Which brings me to the second question. How does one
> paint alum rims? Do they get primed first and then painted? Can they be
> sandblasted or beadblasted? Can you use the Aircraft paint removers? Can you
> use the Draino as mentioned in the previous threads?
>
> I just want to know how to clean and paint them without spending a fortune.
> Any help would be appreciated..
>
> Scott
> Austin Tx
>
> ===

THE WHEELS YOU DESCRIBE SOUND LIKE THE EARLY M151 (1960-1964) MAG
WHEELS. THEY WERE A GREAT IDEA FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION, BUT DID NOT HOLD UP
WELL OFF ROAD. VERY MUCH SOUGHT AFTER BY PEOPLE TRYING TO DO 100 POINT
RESTORATION ON STRAIGHT M151.

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES