Re: [MV] A7V tank

Edwin M. Dyer, III (pelzig19@idt.net)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:11:18 -0600

Greetings, all.

Clinton wrote:

>I work about 10 minutes away from A7V vehicle #506, "Mephisto". If anyone is
>interested I am pretty sure the museum sells postcard sized photos of this
>tank. If not I could always get a photo for anyone interested in it.

A friend whom I chat with on the IRC sent me a beautiful poster of
"Mephisto" as he also works nearby. Its a full gloss poster with a exploded
view of the A7V and a history of the vehicle.

>not know how long the museum has had it but I do remember it as a
>child(about 30 years ago) sitting out in an open garage type shelter.

According to Wolfgang Schneider's "German Tanks In World War I", "Mephisto"
was brought to Australia in September of 1919 and placed in the front of
the Queensland Museum in Brisbane. It sat there, deteriorating, until 1972
when it was sandblasted and repainted. In 1983, for the Australian
Bicentennial, it was again restored and repainted.

Best,

Ed