Re: [MV] subs, planes, ships, etc

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:33:05 +1200

In message <0000nzpdzlhd.0000mimeqogm@zoomit.sikorsky.com>,
DOConnor@zoomit.sikorsky.com writes
>Richard wrote:
>>the Air Transport Auxiliary was largely girls....
>
>I don't know what the ground equivalent was called but I've seen Signal Corps
>pictures of a British unit of girls/women ferrying a column of amphibious
>jeeps in France in 1944.
>
>Dennis
>Naugatuck, CT, USA

Hi Dennis,

The official British women's unit for undertaking those kind of ground
operations was known as the 'Womens Transport Service', or F.A.N.Y
(First Aid and Nursing Yeomanry). And in some circumstances women of
the A.T.S (Auxiliary Territorial Service), were used. Although the
latter was mainly for actual field use not ferrying.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colin@xtra.co.nz