Re: [MV] A Naval Question

Brian & Robin Mead (bmead@mindspring.com)
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 09:49:45 -0500

Robert,
While I was growing up in North Carolina, there was a landing craft at a
boat junk yard near where we went to the beach. To the best of my
recollection, it was probably a LCM. I know it was there for about 15-20
years. I haven't been there in about five years so I don't know if they
scrapped it. It was located on the road to Long Beach, N.C. (just south of
Southport, N.C.) When crossing the bridge going to the island, it was on
the mainland on the right side of the road. It is near the local airport,
so someone there may be able to give you the junkyard's phone number.
You may also want to see if there is anyone in Ft. Pierce, Florida you
could talk to. That was where the landing craft "drivers" were trained. I
know they have one landing craft on display (I think it's a LCVP) but they
may have more, or know where to get them. You could probably contact the
Ft. Pierce Historical Society. The landing craft on display is right next
door to the Historical Society's Museum.

Good Luck,
Brian Mead
Griffin, Ga.
'44 MB