Re: [MV] NDT's

Chris Davi (chrismv@juno.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:41:13 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:57:32 -0700 " Dan Schultz" <schultz@inficad.com>
writes:
>Mike,
>I have been running 6.00 X 16 NDT's for years both off road and on,
>including driving on the freeway to work every day at 65 mph in
>overdrive
>and have had absolutely no problems with the tires. Granted, here in
>Arizona we don't get a whole lot of rain so I can't vouch for their
>handling in very wet climates, but my experience has been very
>positive!
>
>Regards,
>Dan Schultz
>
>----------
>> From: Mick O'Farrell
>
> > 2- The Jeep needs a new tyre. Currently it has four
>non-directional
>treads
>> (mud/snow) on combat rims, so it's the spare I need. I've been
>advised
>that
>> the NDT is not safe on tarmac
> > My next question is: is the NDT advice true, taking into account
>that I
>try
>> not to push it over 35/40 mph?

I've run NDT's on my M38A1 and currently on my M151. I agree that they
are a good tire for most conditions(65mph+), with the exception of snow
covered pavement.

Warning, story follows:

Two winters ago I was in process of restoring my M38A1 and had finally
got the correct wheels with the NDT's. We lived in Utah and at the top
of a hill. I started out on a snowy day with my wife and 6 month old son
in the jeep only to find I was driving a sled. I had edged it over the
crest of hill (4 wheel drive, 1st gear, high range) only to have it go
sliding down with no control. The crown of the road carried us toward
the wrong side of the road, and ultimately into the curb.

We ended up facing the wrong way, but neatly placed between two parked
cars. I tried four low, and couldn't even climb away from the curb. So
I gave up, walked back up to the house, got our Geo Metro (with out snow
tires) drove it easily down the hill and got my wife and son. After the
snow let up I retrieved the jeep and put the civilian wheels and tires
back on it for the rest of the winter.

Maybe if I had aired down the NDTs I might have had better luck, but why
take chances? If your going to run the NDTs in the snow use chains.

Chris Davis
'62 M151
Lake Forest, CA (where you can leave the NDT's on all year long)