Re: [MV] M37's are cool

Lee Ethridge (leeethridge@ibm.net)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 07:20:18 -0600

> Hello there,
>I just fininshed watching a promotional video for dodge powerwagons. Some
of
>the footage on it shows a bone stock Military M37 (exept for the snorkel)
> with about 5 guys standing on the seats drive right into the ocean. The
>windshield was folded down so that the only thing you saw was the five guys
>standing on water up to their knees as they drove out into the ocean. They
>then turned the truck around and drove right back onto the beach. Now THAT
>is fording ability. Makes me wanna put a snorkel on mine.

Which brings to mind an interesting problem relative to restoration. Part
of the prep for fording with spark ignition types (and I'm thinking MB/GPW
here) was to cover the distributor with "asbestos grease".

What can we use in the absence of asbestos grease? What looks like the real
stuff for shows? What works like the real stuff for fording?

Due you think modern wheel bearing grease would do the same job?

Having had no experience with asbestos grease, I have no idea how viscous it
was.

Lee Ethridge