Re: [MV] GMC? wooden steering wheel

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 20:14:25 -0800

David Robinson wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to identify a wooden steering wheel for a WW2 truck.
> I understood that the wooden GMC steering wheel was 20 inches in
> diameter and came in at least two variants - one with cast type spokes and
> hub (early pattern?) and the other with rivetted/fabricated spokes
> and hub (late pattern?).
>
> The mystery wheel is exactly like the fabricated GMC wheel except it
> is 18" in diameter. As it will fit a GMC steering column, I figured
> it must be a GMC wheel. As there isn't much room between the
> windscreen and the rim with a 20" wheel in a hardcab GMC - could this
> be a special wheel for such GMC's. - or perhaps did the 1-1/2 ton
> Chev 4x4's have a wooden wheel towards the end of their production?

Hi David,

I have the same 18" steering wheel in my DUKW, my DUKW originally
came with a 20" wheel, but since I don't fit in the DUKW very well
with the 20" wheel (I'm a tall guy), I decided to use the 18" wheel.
The guy I bought the wheel from told me it was a 1 1/2 ton chevy
wheel, I dindn't have to do any modifications to make it fit on the
DUKW.

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen The Netherlands