Re: [MV] Stuck Brake Drums

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:40:18 +0100

Robert Bell schrieb:
> Any ideas on how to remove hubs that are "frozen" to the brake shoes?
> Tapping on the brake drum with a hammer got me nowhere.

The brake shoes are not "frozen" to the brkae drums, they are corroded.
The material of the brake linings absorbs water from the air (like
brake fluid). So if the vehicle stands a long time in a wet area
with the brake shoes touching the drum (park brake engaged) the brake
linings can corrode on the surface of the drum.

Only brutal power can divide the two parts. May be some heat helps, but
I mean real heat. A brake at temperatures below 100 °C (cooking water)
is called a "cold brake". So "hot brake" means more than 100 °C.

There are special tools to strip the brake drums available for each vehicle.
With such a tool you have more power and the risk of destroying the drum is
not as big as if you use the hammer.

Good luck!

Regards from cold wet Germany
Andreas