Re: [MV] M135 transmission troubles

Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 20:34:23 -0700

At 04:08 PM 11/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
> I am having a minor (I hope!) problem with the transmission in my 1951
>M135. The problem is that it seems to shift well from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to
>trhrd well, but then seems to shift to fourth too quickly. This occurs in
>both high and lo range.Also there dosent seem to be a whole lot of difference
>between hi and lo ranges really. Lo may be a little better for grades but I
>find I need to shift to f2 (hilly) by the way is it okay to shift between f1
>and f2 and vice versa while on th e go? or between high range and lo range on
>the fly?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tony stephas
> '51 M135 U.S.A.
> '53 M38a1 USMC

Tony:

I assume that you have the Allison/GM hydromatic transmission in your M135.
I have 2 M211's and have the manuals for both operations and transmission
servicing. To answer a couple of your questions is easy, but the
transmissions in these trucks can be quite troublesome as I have learned
from experience. It sounds as though the linkage may be mis-adjusted from
the carb to transmission which could cause the quick shift from 3rd to 4th.
There is a special guage necessary to make this adjustment, and I have not
been able to acquire one yet. The difference between F-1 and F-2 is in
the way the transmission shifts. The operators manual explains it, but I
don't have my manual at home, so I couldn't do an adaquate job trying to
explain it. There should be a world of difference between low and high
range. You can shift between F-1 and F-2 in the same range at any time,
and you can shift from low range to high range on the "fly", however, you
should not shift from high range into low range while driving. I will read
through my manuls to find out if there may be another cause for the quick
shift from 3rd to 4th and mail you if I find anything out.

Cliff Dahl
wrcc@rapidnet.com
In the Black Hills of South Dakota
M2A1