Re: [MV] British Vehicle Information Wanted

Tarheel (tarheel@zekes.com)
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:52:44 -0700

Hmmmmm!

Hello everyone,

This is Tarheel, that Arizona rancher, mil-veh novice who joined just to inquire
about vehicles similar to the Ferret. I want to thank all who have
commented and
answered that post. I have been monitoring but until now not replying. My
other work
load and list activity gets me A LOT of e-mail every day so I will perhaps
unsubscribe
after answers to the following comments and queries.

I was interested in the Ferret for several of its reputed attributes. I now
have learned
that it also has some apparent weaknesses. My desire it for some surefooted
vehicle which is very dependable and easily maintained by a really good
mechanic,
but not dependent on rare or extremely expensive parts with a high failure rate.
I of course understand stockpiling. I have five of everything.

I sometimes work pipes and ditches in moderate rolling terrain off road
above 5,000 feet
in elevation, and carry a few hundred pounds of gear and sometimes two or three
other people.

I know enough to keep the dirty side down by not going sidehill or swerving
through
ditches at high speed. I also need to be able to cross a moderate ditch
from time to
time and cross creek fords with as much as a foot of water running at times.

Up in the back country I have seen several vehicles with neat little 6 to 8
mm holes
caused by flat lander city bred elk hunters (contradiction in terms) who can
not tell
the difference between a Dodge at rest and an elk in flight, so light to
moderate
armor similar to the Ferret would be a real plus, just to keep the metal
straight of course.

I think appropriately places shades and Ghilli suit netting (perhaps in
international
Orange color for the flat lander problem) would tame the Arizona sun (works
on regular
trucks).

I have heard mention on this list that Mil-veh are notoriously UNRELIABLE
and am
forced to say that this is a real surprise considering the tactical
necessity to "Keep
'em Rolling" in tactical situations. I am sure that the various military
departments
have from time to time bought some bonehead equipment, but to say that the
whole class of vehicles is unreliable seems too strong-- to this novice.

I most likely will set out to procure some mil-veh based on what is said in
reply
to this query. The below 'Short SB.301' sounds like it might fit on the
initial long
list, as does the Ferret (limit of two people is a minus), Humber Pig, Saracen
and Stalwart. I will be cruising the net to find pictures and descriptions
to add and
subtract from the list. Actually I am most intrigued by the SB 301,
Soreland, and Saracen, with
provisional interest in other light/smaller APCs or carriers.
I would appreciate any suggestions, info, best prices, and sources toward my
new toy.

Special thanks to Jim Webster, Frank Robertson, John S., and all those who
took the
time to write me directly.

Tarheel