Re: [MV] Ferrets & Slick 50

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:11:51 +1200

In message <971126223737_971236284@mrin53.mail.aol.com>,
FIREBASEZ@aol.com writes
>Regarding the Slick 50, is it the engine treatment, and how much do you use.
>My guess is just a few pumps into each box would do.
>Byron
>Ca/US

Hi Byron,

I have a confession to make ! Although I began by using Slick 50, I
soon changed to another brand of P.T.F.E additive called 'Nulon'. I
hadn't mentioned it earlier because I couldn't remember the name, and
being the same basic compounds, just different brands it was really
quite irrelevant. However the advent of your question regarding
quantity has stimulated brain wave patterns. I remembered that I still
have some with me in the garage (I have actually transported it 14,000
miles around the world with me to New Zealand). The product I used
(Nulon because it was less than a quarter of the price of the very
expensive Slick/slik ? 50), for some reason I had always thought was
made in Australia. I see from reading the label that it is actualy
produced in Denmark. It came in two varieties a/ for transmission
systems. b/ for engines. with warning notices not to use it in
'automatic transmissions'.
I put approx 100 ml into each wheel hub of the Ferret, but never in the
engine. And did several thousand miles with better performance and no
problems. The various Dingo's I owned however, I put it in gearbox,
transfer box and bevel boxes also. And these I travelled many thousands
of miles in, with greater performance and cooler running. 'The proof of
the pudding', so to speak was....I used a P.T.F.E additive in the engine
and all transmission of a Dodge WC63 6 x 6, which I used to tow a heavy
military all-terrain trailer carrying a T16 carrier(fully equipped), as
well as a Norton 16H motorcycle combination. I towed the whole enterage
all over Europe to many shows during 1982-85. The only modifications to
the Dodge I made, was to fit an air pump to the engine and a slave
cylinder to operate off the hydraulic brake system which operated the
trailer brakes fractionaly before the Dodge's engaged. I also fitted an
air switch lever, to brake the emergency air line to the trailer as an
extra parking brake. The Dodge pulled with a good turn of speed, and
the trailer stopped it dead when needed. There was effectively four
braking systems, of which three were independant. So my 1 and 1/2 ton
Dodge was regularly pulling about 7 tons. There are incidentally a
number of videos (professionaly produced), around showing both the old
Dodge setup in action, as well as some of my Ferret's, Dingo's etc.
There is even one showing the 'Vigilant Ferret', tackling the famous 12
mile hill on the way out from Liege (Belgium), heading up towards the
Ardennes (passing many parked overheated MV's at the roadside).

regards
Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz