[MV] GPW SN's: stars? What stars?

Mick O'Farrell (mick@trinity-design.ie)
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:05:18 +0100

My GPW, #48315, doesn't have any stars, nor anything other than "GPW483
15" stamped on the frame.

Since the subject is fairly topical now, I'll ask a few questions about
mine. First let me twll you what it is like: It had a glovebox (which
is missing including the data plates), Ford script on the lower left
rear, trailer plug on the rear, no black-out light nor mounting holes,
mismatched engine (cam driven). Several things have been changed on
it--including it having a CJ grill and headlights, CJ windshield, and a
@#$%^&*'d up front bumper and frame--it has a mix of wooden and metal
plates for a front bumper with bolt on hitch on the front, plus some
reinforcing plates on the top of the frame connecting to the bumper.

My questions are: What is the date ad location of manufacture? AAW#2
shows #48305 being made 16 July, 1942, so I could assume it is around
this period. The issue of Ford assigning different serial numbers and
prodction serials not being always sequential comes to mind as well. I
know Ford produced them at five locations--any way to determine exactly
which plant and what date?

Secondly--AAW cites that scripted bodies were generally stopped in the
April-May 42 time frame. While it is possible this jeep is a mutt of a
couple, it seems probable to me it isn't.My only logical explanation is
perhaps it was pulled from the line for a problem and completed later
and stamped. What do you think about it?

This pareticular jeep was found on a farm in Green City, Missouri. I
bought it through a friend who bought it on the GC farm to restore
it--stored it for a year and decided his daughter's dental work was more
important.

Some of the other issues I have with it body wise are the rear
bumperettes are gone and have ben replaced with angle iron, and the hood
has a nice 6" round hole just in front of the windshield. Mechanically,
the post-war engine that came with it is in petty good shape--getting
rebuilt now. The tank is original and seems to be sound. It is missing
a bunch of body parts, which I am collecting now--pretty much anything
but the basics have been pulled off--like spare tire mount, pioneer tool
brackets etc. I am collecting all the parts for the next 6 months
before worrying about the body.

Thanks in advance

Tim

42 GPW #48315 40 Chevy 1 1/2 ton #2615

* Tim A. Scherrer "You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of *
* Facilities Supervisor your life", Ron Scherrer, 1971 *
* Truman State University *
* WP: 816-785-5551 CPT, MI, USAR *
* WF: 816-785-4201 Commander, D/2/334th INF RGT *
* HP: 816-665-6704 *
* E-mail: TIMS@ACADEMIC.TRUMAN.EDU *