RE: [MV] Gas is good, propane is better

Frank Robertson (tankdriv@gte.net)
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:14:29 -0600

[w] [w]

Tankdriv@net.net
http://home1.gte.net/tankdriv/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Davidson [SMTP:datadoc@fda.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 1997 8:17 PM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] Gas is good, propane is better

>Since we are on the fuel subject, and at some point the prices are going
>go up to an outrageous level, has anybody out there converted their
MB/GPW,
>WC or other WWII era vehicle into propane power? Does anybody out there
>have any idea of how to do this? Does anybody think this is a worthwile
>endeavor?
>john@astory.com
>http://www.astory.com

The factors to weigh are these (imho)

What's the price (oops! Did I say price? Sorry! :)) A gallon of propane has
a lot less energy (I think about half) than a gallon of gasoline. So, you
gotta carry more.

The tank is pressurized. heavy. needs to be inspected... Special carb...
fancy fuel control system... ARGH! big $$$!

Now for the good side: The inside of a propane powered engine is clean
enough to eat on! It burns very clean, and leaves very few deposits.

JIM :}