[MV] Politics and religion

Mick O'Farrell (mick@trinity-design.ie)
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:33:09 +0100

>Colin Brookes writes
>>
>unfortunately you do not understand the use of the English language !
>'Unproven that it does not', does not mean that it does cause damage.
>The same as the verdicts for the IRA terrorists (known as the Birmingham
>6 and the Guildford 4), in the British courts. They were found 'not
>guilty in a court of law'. Which has been mis-interpreted by many as
>meaning innocent. They were only found not guilty by misused court
>proceedures, which clever lawyers regularly concoct on both sides of the
>Atlantic.

Are my eyes deceiving me? Isn't this a political statement, or at the very
least, an 'off-topic message'?
_Surely_ a more appropriate analogy could've been found to illustrate the
meaning of the phrase 'Unproven that it does not'.
And OK, we all stray off the MV subject now and again (I'd be 'proven
guilty' of that), but this is something different. Given the probable
diversity of opinions out there, I'm sure that if all List members were to
post their political views, MV discussions would end fairly suddenly.
I'm on this excellent List because I really enjoy learning about my MV, and
trading information with interested parties all over the world, but there's
a saying which goes something like: "If you want to keep your friends,
don't discuss religion or politics."
I'm not going to say whether or not I agree with Colin's statements on
procedures in British courts (let alone verdicts in British courts)
because it's simply _not relevant_ to the List.

By the way, sorry to all for going off-topic on this subject.
Oh and, Happy Christmas to all.

Mick O'Farrell
(Ireland)
Miss J - '43 GPW/mb