[MV] More info an Air Cleaners

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:22:40 -0800

--------------68309EB24CF

Hi List:

I thought I'd add to the air cleaner thread. I have a book called "How
to Maintain & Enjoy Your Collector Car", by Josh Malks. This is NOT
your typical "How to restore..." book. It IS a well written guide to
how to get the most in terms of driveability of your collectible
(barring major mechanical mods, of course). By the way, I recommend
this book to anyone interested in DRIVING collectible cars...

There is a section devoted to filters. Malks doesn't have much good to
say about oil bath, other than they're better than nothing... He
recommends a switch to a modern paper element type for a vehicle that is
to be driven a great deal, or better yet, find a way to adapt a modern
oiled re-useable polyurethane foam element. Malks cautions that if you
look for a newer air cleaner assembly with a paper element, make sure it
was designed for an engine with as large or larger displacement than the
one you're hoping to fit it on. I would think the advice about air
cleaner importance might be even more relevant for an MV which sees
occasional operation in dusty environments.

There are several possibilities which might be worth checking out for
the M37 application. The 230 cid flathead six survived until 1959 in
various Chrysler Corp. cars. Anyone know when they went to a paper
element? The other possibility which occurs to me is the air cleaner
from an early sixties Dodge Dart or Plymouth Valiant with the 225 cid
slant six... As I recall, it's a very simple unit.

Malks does say that if you choose to retain the oil bath air cleaner,
keep it scrupulously clean. He recommends cleaning/oil replacement very
2000 miles!

-Rob Root

1942 GPW

--------------68309EB24CF