Re: [MV] M715 ENGINE SWAP

David P. Dusenbury (dp@interpath.com)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 23:45:46 -0500

Winne, Jim wrote:

> Chevy 292cuid six and automatic transmission put in it. I bet that a
> Chevy 250 or 292 with the old four speed (like they used in trucks and
> school buses) crash box would fit without much trouble. I drive an '84

This is easy, as the M715 has a divorced transfer case. There is a short "spud"
driveshaft between the transfer case and transmission, so any 2wd trans/engine can
go in and connect to the xfer case. Different lengths will neccesitate length
chages to this intermediate shaft, and/or the front/rear driveshafts.

I think that the best combo for these vehicles would be the chev 350, with the chevy
early NV4500 5 speed with OD. The early ones had a lower first gear.

DP