Re: [MV] Removing Pinion Nut

Jan Krason (geoexpl@geoexplorers.com)
Thu, 08 Jan 1998 00:46:42 -0700

MMurd10690 wrote:

> Hi List! I'm working on my M37 and am getting ready to replace the oil seals
> on my tranfser case and differentials, but I need a easy way to remove the
> pinion nut. I remember doing this on my M38A1 and having a very difficult
> time in getting the nut loose. Are there any tricks to this operation?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rick Murdock
> Purcellville, VA, USA
> '51 M37
> '53 M38A1
>
> ===

Hi from Denver, the best way to get that big nut off is to have impact
wrench
with the right impact socket, I would pre-soak with oil (WD-40) over
night
and then apply the impact, (the impact works on the principle of small
impacts to loosen the nut, this kind of pressure releese is very
difficult to achive
by just applying constant pressure like with a breaker bar and socket,
if
the nut is on very tight), I just set up my axle (Dana 70) in the rear
on my
Jeep, the nut was 1 1/4" it was on very tight and it also required heat
(torch)
and about a can of penetraiting oil (WD-40).
Al Krason
Denver, Colo...