Re: [MV] A Jeep is a jeep is a GP

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:56:08 -0500

>> Seems funny to me that jeep is only for WWII when right up until the
>> Army traded in the last M151A2, everyone referred to them as jeeps.
>
>I might as well through in my 2 cents. Someone made the analogy to
>refridgerator/Fridgadair -- A Jeep is still a jeep, although a jeep
>maynot necessarily be a Jeep. A Fridgadair is still a refridgerator,
>afterall. Did Xerox ever give up? Public usage can, afterall, make a
>trademark name into an everyday word.

This thread is starting to go off into tangents. The original poster was
asking what Ray Cowdery meant in his book. What he is saying in his book is
the use of the term "jeep" is nothing more than slang when applied to the
later models because by that point they already were called "Jeeps" by the
manufacturer! WWII 1/4-tons predated "Jeep", but not "jeep". That's all he
is trying to say. Do people use the term "jeep" for anything 4WD? Sure
they do. Do people call Suzukis and Land Rovers "jeeps"? Yep. Did people
probably call their M151A2 a "jeep"? Sure. (My original post to Jim was
supposed to be a joke because you can't tell the difference between "jeep"
and "Jeep" in converstation, but his "twisting" comment made me go further.)
People read too much into these things. It isn't a secret government plot
created by Elvis and the Roswell aliens....

Todd Paisley