Re: [MV] jeep engine identification

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:39:22 -0500

>> >casting date 11-27
>> >638632 W1 AN1 CRN2
>> >serial number 576713
>>

>> Mark,
>> It is a '45 MB engine. Interesing casting date though. Either a
>> rather unusually late date (11-27-45) or a 11-27-44 casting that hung
>> around for a few months before being assembled. I would be
>> interested in knowing what's its assembly date is. (bottom of block
>> on the sealing surface where the oil pan goes near the back
>> (passenger side)) Could be the engine was shipped out to the vendor
>> for assembly into the welder and that took awhile....
>>
>> Todd Paisley
>
>It's 11-27-44. Engine 512XXX has 9-12 block and was tested 12/44. Also
>MB 435XXX which was delivered 4-16-45 has engine number 584XXX (also a 9-12
>block). 576713 was probably assembled first quarter of 45.

Yeah. It probably was after thinking it over. I forgot your MB's engine
number and I thought it was earlier than 584XXX. (I was thinking it was
near 544XXX.) If regular MB production ended July/August 1945 (MB-NB looks
like it continued through September), I was thinking maybe it was a late run
of replacement engines (or a special run for a welder company). By that
time I would imagine those probably would be the 638632 "clock block"
casting....

Todd Paisley