Re: [MV] 25mm Hotchkiss AT Gun

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:35:17 +1200

In message <536ABA3401A4440F@acpd.co.albemarle.va.us>, Scott Parker
<parkers%acpd@acpd.co.albemarle.va.us> writes
>You remember this question ??
>
>> A friend of mine is restoring a French 1934 Hotchkiss 25mm anti-tank
>gun.
>> His question is ... what is the correct color? Since it was made, it
>> was used by the Finnish, and apparently painted a dark kelly green. He
>
>> wants to restore it to the original French colors.
>
>Well, he decided to restore it to the Finnish paint scheme. The dark
>kelly green is a small patch, and he is not sure if it was a camo pattern
>or if it was all kelly green or even if it was green at all . Anyone
>have an idea where he can find out the answer? What was the correct
>paint scheme for this gun?
>
>Thanks in advance, sorry for being a little bit off topic.
>
>Scott

>From my experience, all the artillery that has come out of Finland is
captured equipment given them by the Soviet's. It is probable that the
Hotchkiss was taken from the Germans by the Soviet's on the 'Eastern
Front', who had previously captured it from the French. I have had over
the years a number of pieces of early artillery all dated around 1932 -
40 which the Soviets captured and then turned to their own use, even
manufacturing ammo to suit. Some was original early Soviet Artillery
captured by the Germans, then retaken by the Soviets later in the war.
Much of this early equipment was then passed on the Finland (still with
German markings). All the artillery I have seen from this scource has
been in Soviet colours with Finnish markings over the top. Once the
Finns found out we were buying the equipment and restoring it for
display/collections etc, they banned the export of the items and started
cutting it all up. A shame because most of the working Pak's in
collectors hands around the world we scourced from there.

regards

Colin Brookes

Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS).
colb@xtra.co.nz