RE: [MV] MC Saddle Bags

PietJan Baarda (pjbaarda@solair1.inter.NL.net)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:54:36 +0100

Hi David, Mike,
Indians used the same saddlebags as Harley did. You can check for yourself in the book 'British Forces Motorcycles 1925 - 45, C.J. Orchard & S.J. Madden, ISBN 0-7509-0777-0'. On page 65 is a picture taken in May 1942 of an Indian 741B is clearly showing the saddlebags as described. Also in Harry Suchers book 'Inside American Motorcycling and the American Motorcycle Association 1900 - 1990, ISBN 0-9627434-1-0' there is a W.W.II picture of the experimental Indian 841 (Moto Guzzi type V-twin) with the same bags. (by the way, I found a lot of errors in this book on the HD subject I know most of: the military types). From these pictures it is not possible to check for the 4 studs for mounting them to the luggage carrier. But I expect these bags to be standardized. If you have the carrier already and want me to take measurements on my WLA carrier, you're welcome. The bags of Mike Wheeler seem to be somewhat different. If they have 4 studs at the right distance they might be meant for Indian
or HD.
By the way some HD XA's (the BMW R12 clone) used a third type of saddlebag, the height is very much reduced to clear the rear shock absorbers and exhaust. Other XA's used the standard bag.

Mike, can you give a more detailed description of the scabbard? Especially the location of any straps, etc. The scabbard for the Thompson would be quite wide to clear the mag.

Good luck,

PietJan Baarda

-----Original Message-----
From: David A Cron [SMTP:dcron@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 1998 3:33 AM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] MC Saddle Bags

I might be interested in your saddlebags. How much are you wanting for
them.

Also, to the fellow who gave the descriptions of the WLA and WLC leather
bags, do you know anything about Indian Scout 741 accessories? What if
any did the military scouts use for saddlebags?

Thanks. David Cron
Spfd., MO
1941 Indian Scout 741