re: [MV] M151 - Mutt?

BATHRICK@sandiego.hcg.com
Thu, 15 Jan 98 14:08

In the Air Force, I heard of them called MUTT's. But this was when they
were bringing in the new HMMWV's, and the CUCV's were a fairly common
vehicle. I was just a new 2Lt and figured that the guys were trying to fit
an acronym for the old jeeps that sounded similar to the new vehicle names
(Hum-V, Cut-V and Mutt). I found out that MUTT stood for Mobile Utility
Tactical Truck, as I remember. I asked some of the old Sergeants about the
name and they never referred to them as anything other than jeeps. Just my
two cents.

Thanks,
Sean
North American Terminals, Inc.
bathrick@sandiego.hcg.com
-------------
Original Text
>From mail@IH (David C.Decker){campdeck@infomagic.com}, on 1/15/98 1:52 PM:

> I can't remember anyone who ever refered to the M-151 as a "MUTT" which
> is what historians tell us they were called.

Joe brought up an interesting point. I never heard the M-151s referred to as
Mutts.
Knowing the Army, they put an official name on something, but the GI's end
up referring
to it with a nickname they come up with. 'Rumor control' and all that. An
example would
be the OH-6A Cayuse helicopter which morphed into the name LOACH after the
'job title'
of LOH for 'Light Observation Helicopter.'
But who and why did someone come up with the name 'MUTT?'
Would someone please shed some light on this? Thanks.
Dave in Flagstaff
M715
M274