[MV] Mounting tracks in combat

David C. Decker (campdeck@infomagic.com)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:50:12 -0800

I was curious as to how, when the tank throws a track, one
> gets a 60 ton vehicle back atop a 2000 pound tread. It would seem to me
> to be an extraordinary feat to get these things running again.
> The other tank guys will catch the 'minor' stuff I leave out of this story but
basically:

Line up the tank and the track by pulling the track around to do it. Since tanks almost
always work together, use another tank. Pull the trackless tank up onto it's track then:
the hard part, put a 'tanker's bar,' a 6'long, 2 inch wide bar, thru the end
connectors, LIFT the end of the track onto the drive sprocket and use the tank's low
gear to walk it over the top wheels (Hurray! I forgot what those little wheels are
called!) till the track is over the front idler wheel. Then take two 'track jacks',
which are fixtures which hook onto the end connectors of each end of the track and
tighten up the track, after loosenning the track adjusting rod. Put the end connectors
on, tighten the track and away ya go!!
An interesting point: One of the most valuable tools to 'obtain' was an inch drive
rachet with the socket to fit the end connector nuts. It was not an issue item and a lot
of value was placed on this tool IF you could 'liberate' one fron the Engineers or the
motor pool. That and a big hammer.

(Disclaimer: I left out some steps, I hope this is understandable to a 'non-Track Head.'
Also, don't try this at home without having another tank or a tank retreiver, a bunch
of big guys to help and cases of beer. Drink the beer first, it will be less painfull
when you bust a gut, catch your arm in the sprocket or slip tightening the bolts. Also,
for sport, have your worst enemy take a rifle and snipe at you while you are doing it
and of course wonder ALL the time whether you will step on a mine. And HURRAY UP AND GET
IT DONE, THERE IS A CONVOY TO CATCH UP TO AND GUARD!!! Enjoy!!)

Dave in Flagstaff (with part of his mind always back in the Nam.)

OK, just one more tank story. The M48/60 series has a two speed forward drive. Going
downhill with 'loose' tracks, it is possible to get the 52 ton beast going about 35MPH,
that is IN GEAR. But you are a bored driver, you need to catch up to the proper 'dust
interval,' and what the heck, you're a 19 year old kid with a GREAT BIG TANK to drive:
SOOOOOO---- Put the shifter into neutral and watch the speed build rapidily to 45+!!
At this point, the TC is yelling in the headphones and the rest of the crew is getting
ready to jump! You only have to THINK about moving the steering and the tank zig-zags
down the hill, what fun. Finally, the TC has impressed you with the fact that he will
personnally put you in the gun tube, so you shift into high gear: At this point the
tracks will probably seperate and at least the whole tank will lurch forward at a wierd
angle spilling ammo boxes, crew and everything else forward. If you manage to get it
stopped, be armed, for the crew WILL be gunning for you. Man, did I get away with some
dumb stunts!!! PLEASE, anyone with a track vehicle, DO NOT go down a hill in neutral!!

At this point, I think I have perhaps strayed too far from the intention of the page,
thanks to those who have not flamed me, and thanks to the Vets and others who have
written me, off page. Except for last night remembering the RPGs flying, this is kind of
thereputic. Enough war stories from me for awhile, I hope I can contribute to the
mechanic side of the MV story.
Dave
(and I screwed up: the saying is: "Old tankers never die, they just lose track"