Re: [MV] Zoning Violations

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 08:47:21 +1200

In message <34BFBE60.B73F5FEE@online.no>, "Morten K. Agerup Myhr"
<mkamyhr@online.no> writes
>How's this one:
>
>Back in the late 80's, small contingents of "vikings" hit the UK
>mainland for vacation in their green things (Since '94, the numbers of
>MV's visiting UK from Norway in the summer has been something like 50 to
>150 each summer, so it must feel like being invaded by the vikings once
>more by the natives).
>
>Anyway, on holidays, getting ready to return on the ferry from Harwich,
>I stopped with a friend in Colchester for a little shopping in my WC51
>(perfect for shopping; have brought back sets of tires, stationary
>engine, b..... big piece of oak furniture++++. Yr
>girlfriend/wife/mistr... (Oops!) can even bring all the clothes, shoes,
>beach gear etc she wishes)
>
>Anyanyway, we stopped outside the local McDougal's on Main street.
>Funny double stripes next to sidewalk; - "Sure it doesn't count for
>non-natives". Nice burger being served by Ronald McDougal.
>
>Anyanyanyway; manager must be clairvoyant: comes directly towards only
>two people in restaurant, asking if it's our "Land Rover" being parked
>outside? Non-native gets very upset about this lack of culture, but
>confirms that this elaborate piece of American engineering belongs to
>him. Manager then politely suggests that it might be a good thing to
>move it away; not so much for the danger of being fined (luckily no
>international system for following up on unpaid fines), but the fact
>that the local sheriffs were about to bring in the bomb squad....
>
>Coincidence made it the same day the friendly, local IRA-group had made
>a bomb threat to the city hall on the other side of the street. Sheriff
>noticed green thing parked, noticed it had US markings (stars and WWII
>unit markings!?!), called up the local US army camp. No, they had no
>vehicles with that serial number........
>
>LOTS of quick and intense conversation with sheriffs, who were not at
>all amused.
>
>In short; don't eat at McDonald's if u don't want yr mil-veh blown up by
>the bom squad.....
>
>Greetings from Oslo!
>--
> )))
>-- (@ @)
>- Morten K. Agerup Myhr-----oOOo--(_)--oOOo------

Hi Morten,

I know the Military Garrison town of Colchester well. I also know the
McDonalds in the High Street very well....there is a taxi rank all along
the kerb outside it ! So you would have sure upset some taxi drivers.

However my point is this.......parking a military vehicle outside a
McDonalds is going to stick out like 'dogs balls', especialy in a
military town like Colchester. The military do not use McDonalds !!!
It was rumoured some years ago that McDonalds were helping to fund the
IRA. There was a 'Woolworth', store almost next door to that McDonalds
in Colchester, but it was closed down after the IRA bombed it (a good
IRA target lot's of women & kids).

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz

(Chairman of East Anglian Fighting Vehicle Group, Colchester. 1986-1992)

P.S A common misconception that a WW2 vehicle with white stars on it
must be US. All Allied vehicles had the white stars marked on them,
the US was the only one to continue using the insignia after WW2. There
are many British and Canadian restored WW2 vehicles in the Colchester
area, almost all with 'white star markings'.