Re: [MV] Engine oil

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:30:44 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: SBJohnston@aol.com <SBJohnston@aol.com>
To: Mil-Veh@skylee.com <Mil-Veh@skylee.com>
Date: 21 January 1998 00:50
Subject: Re: [MV] Engine oil

>Thinking that it would be better to "leave sleeping sludge lie" in my
'51 M38
>engine, I found and used a brand of SAE 30 motor oil that was
specifically
>marked "Non-Detergent". I wonder if it really is...and if my
philosophy is a
>good idea...

Hi,
Its more likely that some detergency is present but a sensible plan if
the engine hasn't been well flushed or stripped and cleaned. The guys
that designed these things did know about sludge formation and took it
into account, also there aren't any mil engines that are highly
stressed, the specific outputs are very low.