Re: [MV] Brake Bleeding Tricks Anyone???

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 07:09:33 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Strance <strance@email.msn.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 25 January 1998 02:52
Subject: [MV] Brake Bleeding Tricks Anyone???

Hi,
There have been some good suggestions already but I have found time and
again the slow technique suggested just doesn't do it in the worst
cases.

Brent is probably right that a rapid stroke can break up an air bubble
but what usually happens is that the air just moves a few inches along
the pipe on the slow down stroke and then runs back to its original
higher point again.

Many, many years ago I drew a blank on getting a good firm pedal and
consulted a friendly garage mechanic. He said it was essential to well
open the bleed nipple to obviate any restriction, use the pipe in a
bucket with a helper to hold it on, and really kick the pedal down at
least five times, as fast as you possibly can, hold down on the last
stroke while the bleed nipple is tightened. A power bleeder with some
force does the same thing but with less drama!

Never failed yet and has astounded many people who have asked for help
in final total desperation, sure it comes out with a myriad of fine
bubbles initially but we did want to remove the air after all.

For single-handed work the bleed nipples with a built-in needle valve
are excellent as any slack on the thread is immaterial.

Do take care as the fluid is expelled necessarily quite violently, when
the pipe pops off the bleed nipple unexpectedly, (like it does), fluid
goes everywhere, its not much fun cleaning it off the vehicle, its even
less fun trickling up your arm but its downright nasty in the eyes.
Been there, done that, not doing it again.

All the best.

Richard
(Southampton UK)