Re: [MV] Military contract drawings

John Champlin (jchamplin@sprintmail.com)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:18:19 -0800

Paul Thekan wrote:

> Hi John
> Thanks for the reply. I have the TMs for the sets and there is
> dimensional data on some items but unfortunatly there is no info for the
> pieces I need to fabricate. Excuse my ignorance but what is a "regional
> archive"? and which specific archive in Washington?. I am new to this so you
> have to excuse these questions.

[big snip]

Paul;
The National Archives main web page is at www.nara.gov; it has
contact numbers for the regional archives (they chop the nation into ten
regions, the map is on the web site) as well as the main archives in
Washington, DC. If the TM says what is the accepting or the contracting
depot, the you can find the archives that would have the records from
the depots in question. Another possibility is if the gear has rebuild
plates on it, you can try the records for the rebuilding depot. If
there is a contract number present, the archives will gladly send you
the location of the film copy of the contract record or the specs and
its cost to get a microfilm or microfiche copy. The contract will at
least refer you to the specs, if not include them.
Always glad to share the knowledge.

John Champlin
jchamplin@sprintmail.com