[MV] Diesel TIGERS

A.Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Wed, 28 Jan 98 14:18 +0100

>hang on to your hat my friend, the Tigers and King Tigers ran on
>Diesel.

Dear Colin, that's wrong. TIGER and KING TIGER have both Maybach
V12 petrol engines!

No German tank of WW2 (except some trial versions and prototypes)
has had a diesel engine.

>Sorry Andreas I can't go along with that one. The WW2 Allies had the
>same thinking. The only diesel powered vehicles the British Army used
>were the Scammel, Matador and Hippo.

If you only talk about the western part of the WW2 Allies, you are right.
But don't forget the Russians, they were Allies, too. And they knew
how important low fuel comsumption for a MVs. By Lend-Lease they got
a lot of anglo-american vehicles with petrol engines, and they built
some of them under license. But their own designs, the famous T34 tank
for example, had diesel engines. And they worked well at really low
temperatures. (up to 40 °C below zero)

Some of the list members have spent some time in Germany and they
write about low temperatures here. Ok, sometimes we have 20 degrees
centigrade below zero, but that is warm compared with the temperatures
in Russia. The temperatures in Russia are like in Alaska or northern
Canada.

My uncle was truck driver in WW2 in Russia. He told me that it took
hours to start a convoy of the petrol powered OPEL Blitz after a cold
night.

Regards
Andreas