[MV] Petrol vs. Diesel in MVs

Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:28:55 +1030

I think this discussion could be getting a bit too focused, mostly
the reason Petrol or Diesel was used by any particular nation or
army was more to do with logistics than anything else.

> The only diesel powered vehicles the British Army used
> were the Scammel, Matador and Hippo.

At least lets keep this accurate.

As to the non-use by British forces of Diesel powered tanks,
the Valentine has been ignored, which was in service from the
Western Desert onwards? I don't recall ever hearing of a Petrol
version of this tank, but suspect some of the early models were,
definetly all the ones I have encountered
were diesel - legend has it that the engine was actually the type
used in the London double decker buses of that era (AEC brand)?
Unlike so many other British tank engines it was know for its
reliability.
Then there is the "Queen of the Desert" the Matilda II which was ever
only Diesel (2 x AEC or 2 x Leyland). The English forces seemed to
run a curious mix of Diesel and Petrol powered Tanks (Vickers Light,
the Cruisers, Churchill and on into the Centurion family). No doubt
this only added to the logistical nightmare that was the Western
Desert.

Doug

Armoured Vehicles
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~derf/dga/