Re: re: [MV] To Rebuild, or Not To Rebuild ?

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:16:31 -0500

> A bit more info might help (how long since last run, condition of fluids
>when removed, etc.) because it can go either way (IMHO). You could try to
get
>it running and if you succeed then you've saved a lot of time & money. If
you
>can't get it going or it doesn't run well when you do start it then nothing
>lost.

I have always found the best approach is to find out what the condition of
the engine is internally before even considering starting the engine. If
you don't know the history of the engine, how long it has been sitting, how
it was stored, etc, the excitement of trying to get a long dead engine
running will quickly die if there were clogged oil lines, rats and snake
nests in the combustion chamber, rust, dirt and water in the oil, stuck
valves, etc., makes you destroy an otherwise good part that only needed
cleaned internally. (At least on a Jeep, the parts are still available. If
it were something more exotic, you might have to search long and hard to
find the parts.) If I trash a $300 crankshaft because of debris in the
engine, I don't see this as saving time & money. If it has been run
periodically and has been on the road, maybe running the engine is not a bad
idea. But if it has been sitting for 30 years in a field, I would take the
time to properly clean and inspect the engine. Just my conservative
opinion....

Todd Paisley