Re: [MV] Diesel vs Gas

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:18:25 +1200

In message <01BD2DB0.6D2CF9C0.Tankdriv@gte.net>, Frank Robertson
<Tankdriv@gte.net> writes
>No, the mulitbank was 5 6 cly blocks around a central crank made by
>Chrysler.

Yes I think you are right. I climbed in her a number of times, and got
some photo's somewhere. Only point I am definite about is that the
engines were straight sixes and USA built. I had originaly considered
buying it, but at that time I did not own my own tank transporter, and
costs to drag it back to the UK were about as much as the purchase
price.

> Aircraft had priority over tanks. The British said if you keep up
>maintenance they were pretty good.

Could be some truth in that, there still seemed to be more room (even
with that lot), than trying to work on a 'Stuart'. You also wouldn't
have the cold-start delay you had with the continental radial. I once
loaded my 'Sexton', on to the trailer from ground level just with the
crank handle when I had a clutch problem.

> I don't know if Ronson was British or American. They still make them. Next
>time I see one I'll look and see.

Perhaps it was in both countries. I seem to remember the factory in
Surrey closing down some years ago.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz