Re: [MV] The Rifkind Report/Jeeps

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 23:58:17 -0500

>I received a copy of the Rifkind Report in the mail--it is a reprint of
>the 1943 report regarding the procurement of the jeep. It appears to be
>fairly scholarly, with good footnotes and appendicies.
>
>Can anyone provide any additional background about this report? What is
>the general overall belief regarding the accuracy of the information.
>To me, it appears to be one of the most detailed accounts I've seen
>about procurement of early jeeps. It has some good photos as well.

This report was written in 1943 by Herbert Rifkind who was employed by the
Quartermaster Corp. to document historical activities. The jeep procurement
was about to transfer to the Ordnance Dept. and I imagine the Quartermaster
Corps wanted to make sure it documented its involvement. So they asked
Herbert Rifkind to document it. It is a very good resource for the early
jeep procurement. I have researched and found a few of the documents he
references in the the foot notes. What he wrote about those documents is
pretty much consistent to what was in the documents themselves. I believe
the accuracy is pretty good. A must have reference for the jeep historian.

Todd Paisley