Re: [MV] multi-bank engine

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:02:52 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Winnington-Ball <whiskey@netwave.ca>
To: Colin Brookes <colb@xtra.co.nz>
Cc: Dave Cole <DA_Cole@compuserve.com>; MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 01 February 1998 20:16
Subject: Re: [MV] multi-bank engine

>From the pictures I've seen, these individual engines were indeed
arranged
>'radially', but not in the sense of having the individual cylinder
blocks
>pointing off in all directions -

Yes they are. Got grubby hands working on one last week.
If you took a section you'd have a cylinder every 52 degrees with one
block vertical,
they are "ganged" by herring bone gears on to one central pinion, all
five blocks are mounted on a central casting; think of it in terms of a
five cylinder _6 bank_ radial.

>I still say that this is the quintessential Sherman to own (especially
with a
>Firefly turret and gun!). Imagine doing a valve job, or even a
'tune-up'?

With 5 distributors, 5 coils and 5 carbs, I'll let you know how a valve
job and tune up goes. . . . . . . . . . . .

Richard
(Southampton UK)